Forging a Path to Sustainable Energy
Before energy efficiency was in demand, our founder, Dave Grumman, led the way in revolutionizing how building owners and managers reduced operating costs by delivering sustainable engineering solutions.
That foresight is the bedrock of GBA’s approach to every problem we solve for our clients. You might come to us to create a well-functioning facility, but you’ll always leave with systems that are better for the environment.
“In the early 1970s, with sharply increasing energy prices and an oncoming energy crisis, I believed there could be a demand for a business that showed building managers and operators how to run their buildings for less. GBA is still growing, based on this strong foundation.”
— Dave Grumman, PE, FASHRAE, GBA Founder
Dedicated To You
Picking Up the Phone and Running Toward the Problem
At GBA, these are core principles.
You can rely on our team of responsive, collaborative engineering professionals to work closely with you throughout the project, and beyond. Our customer service ethic helps explain why 80% of our business comes from repeat clients.
"They work closely with our team to ensure that all of our concerns and needs are always addressed, resulting in a truly cohesive effort."
– Jeffrey Manders, VP, Global Project Lead, JLL
Embracing the Global Impact of Our Work
Our commitment to a sustainable society and planet extends beyond the work we do for clients. Here’s what that looks like:
- Free Energy and Water Benchmarking Survey for hospitals
- Specializing in engineering services for energy-intensive facilities
- Searching for energy- and water-efficient solutions to all MEP designs
- Striving to help our clients reduce electricity, natural gas, and water usage and costs
- Challenging and assisting building owners and vendors to strive for more energy efficient policies
- Working to reduce greenhouse gas emissions with every project
- Member of the U.S. Green Building Council
- Active in standards development and evaluations for Green Globes
- Participating in energy efficiency committees for professional associations
- Monitoring and reducing our energy and water usage
- Reducing waste levels, recycling waste materials for reuse, and composting appropriate materials
- Establishing policies that assist employees in sustainable behaviors
- Raising employee awareness through activities and challenges
- Assisting GBA stakeholders, including our landlord, to implement more energy efficient policies
- Providing a safe and enjoyable work environment
- Striving to retain staff and providing continuing education and training
- Supporting the local community through volunteer and advisory efforts
- Certified Sustain Evanston business and Bicycle Friendly Business
"The firm’s services have greatly expanded since 1973, but at our core is the culture of efficient utilization of our nation’s resources."
– Al Butkus, PE, FASHRAE, GBA Founder
Annual Hospital Energy and Water Survey
Your usage of electricity, natural gas, water, and other resources can be turned into data that improves your facility’s performance. How? Since 1995, our annual Hospital Energy and Water Survey allows facility owners to evaluate what is or isn’t working compared to others.
With graphical and numerical comparisons in your hands, you make informed decisions based on solid data.
We’re Committed to Advancing the Field of Sustainable Engineering
By partnering with organizations with the same mission.
175 Awards for Engineering Excellence — and Counting
What we do wouldn’t be recognized without a commitment to creating the facilities clients need to operate at their best. For over 50 years, that commitment has been acknowledged through international, national, regional, and state engineering awards.
Take a look!
We’re Evolving. See How GBA is Pushing Sustainable Engineering Forward.
Explore the latest news, projects, and events at Grumman|Butkus Associates.
Electrical utility ComEd has praised GBA’s work across its Energy Efficiency incentive program, honoring GBA with the 2022 Energy Efficiency Service Provider (EESP) Award and the 2022 Most Savings of the Year Award. The EESP designation is given to the Service...
GBA's Chicago regional office promoted five staff members at the recent semi-annual meeting: Kevin Vander Klay, PE, QCxP, LEED AP, was promoted to Associate. Heather Beaudoin, PE, LEED AP BD+C, CEM, BEMP, GBE, was promoted to Associate. Abigail Steimel, CEM, was...
Electrical designers must be conscious of environmental factors that will impact electrical equipment, including temperature, wind, snow, and so on. This is especially critical for photovoltaic (PV) installations where a large portion of the system will be subjected...