The Loyola University Medical Center campus electrical service consists of a medium-voltage distribution system served by multiple ComEd transformers. During an equipment upgrade by the utility, issues were discovered affecting the campus electrical protection and controls. GBA performed the following project in response:
- Coordinating protection and control requirements with ComEd during equipment replacement and testing, facilitating communication and information exchange among the utility, LUMC’s electrical contractor, and LUMC’s facilities department.
- Selecting microprocessor-based relays and communication equipment to replace electromechanical and electronic relays in the customer-owned medium-voltage switchgear.
- Providing schematic and wiring diagrams for retrofit of the new relays in the existing relay panels.
- Developing protection settings for the new relays.
- Conducting a coordination study using SKM Power*Tools software to ensure coordination with existing protection.
- Updating the campus one-line electrical diagram (up to each building’s incoming service). (Existing files dated from 1987.)
- Overseeing project implementation bidding by the client.