- GBA was contracted by architect Pappageorge/Haymes to provide LEED consulting services. The project achieved Platinum certification under LEED 2009, scoring 81 points out of a possible 110.
- Potential energy savings were calculated with an energy model. The building will save an estimated 40% over the ASHRAE baseline building.
- Sustainable design strategies include a partial ground-source heat exchanger for the heat pump loop, energy recovery for units supplying makeup air, solar thermal water heating, and solar photovoltaic panels. New low-e coated krypton-gas-filled windows also improve the building’s energy profile.
- The design includes water-efficient landscaping and low-flow fixtures.
- Many credits were achieved in the Sustainable Sites category. Materials for the roof and hardscape surfaces were selected to mitigate the urban heat island effect. A vegetated roof also helps reduce stormwater runoff.
- The building’s exterior limestone and masonry walls and structure were retained, and new materials included recycled content and wood from sustainable sources. Low-emitting materials were specified for adhesives, paints, flooring, and composite wood. More than 90% of the construction waste was recycled.