Advocate Good Samaritan Hospital is a 333-bed community facility that opened in 1976. It includes the only Level 1 Trauma Center in DuPage County.
- A new 1,500-kW generator was installed, complementing two existing 1,000-kW and 1,200-kW emergency generators.
- Equipment was connected via paralleling gear to provide N+1 redundancy for back-up of the hospital’s life safety systems.
- The generator is housed in an existing metal building.
- Due to the proximity of the generator building to a residential area, a background sound level was established via long-term sound measurement. Extensive sound attenuation measures were implemented for the generator air intake and exhaust.
- The project included modifications to the existing fuel system, with new pumping, new day tanks, and extensive modifications to the existing 10,000-gallon underground tank.
- New heating and ventilating infrastructure was also provided.
- Close coordination with hospital staff ensured continuous operations during construction.