This renovation project involved reconfigurations of existing hospital space in the Classic East Building to create new facilities for Advocate Children’s Hospital. The project team included Matthei & Colin Associates, GBA, Dickerson Engineering, and Leopardo Construction. The mechanical, electrical, plumbing, fire protection, and medical gas scope included:
- Converting six semi-private to private rooms.
- Replacing all team care stations.
- Upgrading an exam room, staff lounge, simulation lab, and offices.
- Upgrading a playroom.
- Upgrading corridor finishes (ceilings and walls).
- Converting two existing rooms to new patient rooms.
- Replacing modular headwalls and installing medical air services in five existing patient rooms.
- Upgrading/refreshing the fifth-floor pediatric behavioral health department, including installation of anti-ligature plumbing fixtures.
- Correcting MEP deficiencies throughout the renovation zone on the second floor.
As the project developed, several additional services were requested, including security upgrades to existing corridors, an HVAC upgrade to serve an existing dictation room that was previously not in the scope, and miscellaneous small design changes that required modifications to the engineering plan and phasing.