General Services Administration, Kluczynski Federal Building
Refurbishing existing switchgear minimized downtime and saved space at this downtown Chicago federal office building.
The project team decided to refurbish the existing switchgear rather than completely replace it, minimizing downtime and saving building space. The switchgear was upgraded with multiple new safety and reliability features, including:
- Complete breaker refurbishment.
- Digital adjustable L,S,I trip units.
- Ground fault protection.
- Power metering.
- Surge protection devices.
- Arc energy reduction maintenance switches.
- Arc flash optical relay system.
- Time delay electrical operators.
- Egress hardware upgrades.
- Complete building coordination, arc flash, and short circuit study.
GBA developed bidding documents, handled bid review, devised a temporary power design to maintain critical systems, and provided construction administration and post-construction contract services. To minimize inconvenience to tenants, equipment upgrades took place over five weekends during a seven-month period.
The Electric Association of Chicagoland, Consulting Electrical Engineers Division, honored the project with its Charles Steinmetz Award for Technical Merit.