The project focused on replacing the hotel’s hot water boilers. Engineering design included:
- Demolition and replacement of three hot water boilers with 14 modular boilers. The modular units offer a small footprint and increased efficiency over previous boilers (approximately 85% efficiency vs. 75%).
- Conversion of the hot water distribution system to variable flow, with constant-speed primary boiler pumps and variable-speed secondary distribution pumps.
- Replacement of secondary hot water pumps and provision of variable frequency drives.
- Connection and extension of hot water piping.
- Upgrades to heating plant building automation system controls.
- Phased installation of hot water boilers, which also provide domestic hot water for the hotel, to ensure continuous availability of hot water in the guest rooms.
- Metering and tracking of natural gas consumption and hot water use by zone.
- Modifications to the ventilation system that provides combustion air to the equipment room.
- Replacement and upgrades of power connections to the mechanical equipment.
- New electrical distribution equipment, transformers, and lighting layout.
Modular units with a smaller footprint and better efficiency
Upgrades to the distribution system and the BAS controls
Phased installation to ensure continuous availability of hot water to guests
Metering and tracking of gas consumption and hot water use by zone