BP Research Campus
BAS Upgrade, Design Reviews and Commissioning - Naperville, IL
Originally created by Amoco, the buildings at BP Naperville are decades old and have been continually upgraded to support reseach initiatives. As part of this effort, G/BA has worked with BP’s representative CBRE in a series of projects improving the Building Automation Systems for multiple facilties.
A large-scale, phased series of projects resulted in upgrades to multiple Complexes (building clusters) and a central plant at BP Naperville. About 20 buildings were affected, including chemistry laboratories, fuel processing, and other sensitive facilities.
- Initial aspects of the work involved updating the existing proprietary BAS backbone to a modern open-source BACnet network, including all the building-level controllers.
- Next, controllers on all major pieces of equipment (air-handling units, chillers, pumping systems, and so on) were updated.
- Finally, lower-level controllers were replaced, including terminal units and some process equipment that was tied to the BAS.
- G/BA was involved in design reviews and helped BP, the engineer of record, and the contractors develop a strategy to transition sensitive equipment to the new BAS without interruption. During and after these cutovers, G/BA was on-site to verify that the systems came back on line.
- Functional testing was used to ensure that systems were operating as intended,and that programming of the new controls was correct.
- Through commissioning, G/BA was able to identify multiple points and pieces of equipment that had been missed during the cutovers. The commissioning team also recommended improvements to sequences of operations.
- Maintenance items and other equipment condition issues were noted.
- G/BA continues to work with the client to help ensure safe, energy efficient functioning of these important research facilities.