Retro-commissioning (RCx) is a systematic process to improve an existing building’s performance. Using a whole-building systems approach, RCx seeks to identify operational improvements that will increase occupant comfort and save energy. Grumman|Butkus Associates (GBA) is a leader in the RCx industry and has been providing RCx services for nearly 20 years on a diverse array of projects.
Over a sample three-year period, GBA successfully completed 25 retro-commissioning projects, resulting in:
- A total energy cost savings of $2.64 million
- An annual electricity savings of 19 million kWh
- An annual natural gas savings of 1 million therms
GBA is a qualified retro-commissioning service provider under the ComEd Energy Efficiency Program (now partnered with Peoples Gas, North Shore Gas, and NICOR). GBA has consistently received high marks among service providers in the ComEd RCx program.
Some clients opt to implement monitoring-based commissioning, or continuous commissioning, programs. These can be part of the commissioning process for a new or renovated facility, or can be implemented as an adjunct to a traditional retro-commissioning initiative. Monitoring-based commissioning uses automated data analytics tools to help clients achieve persistent, optimal energy efficiency.
Our focus on helping stakeholders ensure persistent energy savings led our team to develop a proprietary fault detection and diagnostics application, Trend Sumo®, though the firm is platform-agnostic and also works with many third-party applications. Our dashboard application, Energy Sumo®, has also become a key tool for many GBA clients.
The process involved in retro-commissioning (RCx) services is as follows:
- Prepare application for outside funding when available
- Initial site assessment
- Develop RCx plan
- Identify potential operation improvement
- Identify potential energy savings measures
- Develop implementation costs and energy savings projections
- Work with team to implement recommendations
- Finalize detailed site assessment
- Develop targeted FPT procedures
- Collect and analyze trend data
- Verify installation and proper operation of retro-commissioning measures
- Update energy savings based on measured data
- Prepare final report