NorthShore Skokie Hospital
New Central Plant, Design - Skokie, IL
G/BA provided engineering design services for the plant, which includes new steam boilers, chillers, cooling towers, domestic water heaters, fire pump, domestic water booster pump system, ComEd electrical vault, emergency generators, underground fuel oil storage tank, and new electrical, water, and natural gas service.
Skokie Hospital is a 450,000-square foot, 150-bed comprehensive hospital. This large-scale plant accommodates growth and addresses the need for equipment upgrades.
- The chiller plant consists of four 1000-ton centrifugal chillers with variable frequency drives (VFDs) and two two-cell cooling towers with VFDs and discharge sound attenuation.
- Chilled water distribution is via a variable-primary system with four 75-hp pumps. The condenser water system is variable flow with four 75-hp pumps.
- A hydronic economizer using a winterized cooling tower and plate-and-frame heat exchanger provides winter cooling for year-round loads.
- Four 1,700-MBH condensing water heaters with a 750-gallon storage tank provide domestic hot water. A new hospital domestic water service with 1,500-gpm triplex variable-speed pressure-boosting system was provided, as well as a new hospital fire protection service with a 100-hp fire pump.
- The new boiler plant includes four 400-hp medium-pressure steam boilers using natural gas with fuel oil back-up, with boiler oxygen trim, boiler blow-down heat recovery, and a boiler stack economizer.
- A reverse osmosis water system provides boiler make-up water and minimizes the use of boiler chemicals.
- The back-up power system comprises two 1,500-kW fuel oil emergency generators with super-critical-grade silencers, intake and exhaust acoustic louvers, and intake and exhaust silencers.
- A 20,000-gallon underground fuel oil storage tank, pumping system, and day tanks provide fuel oil to the generators and steam boilers.
- A computational fluid dynamics re-ingestion study was performed to determine proper stack height to avoid/minimize re-ingestion.