Energy Modeling and Commissioning - Phoenix, AZ
The office buildings of Norterra West consist of two 150,000-square-foot, three-story facilities. G/BA assisted in the development of this new speculative office construction project by providing energy modeling and commissioning services, as well as preparing documentation for submitting the project for LEED CS v2009. (Phase 1 was Certified in 2016; Phase 2 is scheduled for completion in 2019.)
Part of a 576-acre masterplanned commercial development, Norterra West consists of two Class A office buildings developed by USAA Real Estate Co. and Metro
Commercial Properties. Each building features a two-story lobby; a core with restroom banks; and surface parking (with room for a potential deck in the future).
- G/BA’s energy modeling scope included modeling to meet the requirements of LEED using IES-VE; verifying that the architectural and MEP designs
- meet minimum standards of ASHRAE 90.1-2007; identifying deficiencies; developing an energy simulation model consistent with ASHRAE 90.1 Appendix G; calculating cost savings vs the baseline case; and prepping LEED documentation.
- The LEED Fundamental and Enhanced commissioning scope included design review; design-phase tasks (including assistance with developing the design intent and Basis of Design); and construction- and acceptance-phase activities as required for LEED EAp1 and EAc3.
- Results of the Phase 1 model included achieving 6 points in credit EAc1, verifying 18.9% energy cost savings and 31.5% energy savings.
- A total of 46 LEED points was achieved, including 13 in the Energy & Atmosphere category.
- Phase 2 will feature enhanced lighting and is predicted to have slightly higher energy savings, which will be evaluated through eQuest modeling.