Carle Foundation Hospital
Carle at the Fields Administrative Facility, Engineering Design - Champaign, IL
This consolidated administrative facility for Carle Foundation Hospital is part of the new Carle at the Fields medical campus in Champaign. The building improved the efficiency of CFH's administrative operations. G/BA provided MP/FP engineering design services, with electrical engineering by Dickerson Engineering, Inc.
Constructed in 2017, the new administration building for Carle Foundation Hospital consolidated 427,000 square feet of existing leased space that was spread across 12 sites into one new 280,000-square-foot, four-story building on a new site in southwest Champaign.
- The building includes 257,000 square feet of office space, a 9,000-square-foot kitchen and servery, 8,000 square feet of conference space, and a 2,000-square-foot data center to serve all buildings in the new planned development. More than 1,200 employees work in the facility.
- Most office space is open and flexible, with private offices and support functions at the core.
- The scope of work included coordinating the new site’s building services with other members of the design team, as well as code analysis and review of the design and documentation with the local authorities having jurisdiction.
- The building utilizes dedicated outdoor air systems (DOAS) with hot water heat, DX cooling, and a total energy recovery wheel to supply ventilation air.
- Office areas are heated and cooled through several large variable refrigerant flow (VRF) systems with refrigerant heat recovery units.
- The data center is cooled through two redundant low-temperature refrigerant computer room air conditioning units (CRAC) and protected by an FM-200 clean agent fire suppression system.
- The individual system packaged controllers (DOAS, VRF, CRAC, generators, and boiler system) were integrated into a single-interface, Tridium-based building automation system.